July 24th — Weekly COVID-19 Update
“Do not get lost in a sea of despair. Be hopeful, be optimistic. Our struggle is not the struggle of a day, a week, a month or a year, it is the struggle of a lifetime. Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.” — Congressman and Civil Rights leader John Lewis
This week, Governor Northam took several new steps to provide relief to Virginia communities, and I wanted to make sure you had the latest updates:
Today, Governor Northam announced that Virginia’s Robert E. Lee statue will be removed from the halls of Congress and replaced with one that better represents our inclusive Commonwealth.
The General Assembly is set to convene on Tuesday, August 18th, for a special session to focus on the budget as well as criminal justice and police reform.
- Currently, 82,364 positive cases have been reported in Virginia.
- All Virginians must continue to comply with the statewide face covering requirement in indoor public spaces.
- Last week, Governor Northam adopted the nation’s first state-level emergency workplace safety standard requirements in response to COVID-19.
- The Virginia Rent and Mortgage Relief Program (RMRP), will provide $50 million in federal funding for households facing eviction or foreclosure due to COVID-19. RMRP will provide short-term financial assistance on behalf of households in the form of rent and mortgage payments. To identify the local RMRP administering organization for a household and to conduct a self-assessment for eligibility, visit dhcd.virginia.gov/eligibility or call 211 VIRGINIA by dialing 2–1–1 from your phone.
- http://StayHomeVirginia.com contains tools, information, and resources for renters, homeowners, landlords, and people experiencing homelessness.
Employment & the Economy
- Governor Northam announced that more than $866,000 will be awarded to 90 destination marketing organizations (DMO) through the Virginia Tourism Corporation’s (VTC) new DMO WanderLove Recovery Grant Program.
- For a comprehensive list of information and federal resources related to small businesses, please visit:
- FINIMPACT: https://www.finimpact.com/covid-19-coronavirus-smbs/.
- Annuity.org: https://www.annuity.org/financial-literacy/covid-19-financial-guide/
DMV & Transportation
- The DMV announced that three locations, including the Woodbridge CSC, will reopen on July 27th.
- To make an appointment for service at a CSC or DMV Connect, please visit www.dmvNOW.com/appt.
Public Assistance Programs
- The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) announced that they will be accepting applications for cooling assistance through August 17th. VDSS will also issue a supplemental payment, through funding by the CARES Act, to households who received fuel or crisis assistance during the most recent heating season.
Prince William County
- The School Board voted unanimously to adopt a Return to Learning Plan that will have the first quarter of the school year as all virtual learning for most students. Special Education students and other especially vulnerable student groups, as feasible, will receive some in-person services. More information can be found here.
- Prince William County Board of Supervisors designated five million dollars in CARES Act funding to PWC public schools.
- Free COVID-19 Testing available for residents who live and work in Prince William County, the City of Manassas, and the City of Manassas Park. Participants must provide their full name, telephone number, and a home or work address in Prince William County, the City of Manassas, and the City of Manassas Park to obtain COVID testing and receive the results.
- Monday, July 27, 2020 | Start Time 8:30 AM — Woodbridge Senior Center, 13850 Church Hill Drive, Woodbridge, VA 22191
- Monday, July 27, 2020 | Start Time 1:30 PM — Metz Middle School, 9950 Wellington Road, Manassas, Virginia 20110
- Monday, July 27, 2020 | Start Time 5:30 PM — Splashdown Water Park, 7500 Ben Lomond Park Road, Manassas, VA 20109
- Tuesday, July 28, 2020 | Start Time 8:30 AM — James S. Long Park
- 4603 James Madison Highway, Haymarket, VA 20109
- Tuesday, July 28, 2020 | Start Time 1:30 PM — Cloverdale Park
- 15150 Cloverdale Rd, Dale City, VA 22193
- Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | Start Time 1:30 PM — Dumfries-Triangle Rescue Squad Facility, 18321 Jefferson Davis Highway, Triangle, VA 22172
- Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | Start Time 5:30 PM — Metz Middle School, 9950 Wellington Road, Manassas, Virginia 20110
- The Virginia Tourism Corporation (VTC) announced this week that the Prince William County Office of Tourism (d/b/a Visit Prince William, Virginia) will award a $10,000 grant from its “DMO Recovery Grant Program.”
- Virginia Department of Health website
- Virginia Department of Social Services website
- “Forward Virginia” Guidelines page
- Prince William County COVID-19 page
- Stafford County COVID-19 page
If you need constituent services, please contact our office at DelJCarrollFoy@house.virginia.gov.
Please stay safe and healthy.
Del. Jennifer Carroll Foy